Sunday, September 11, 2011

9/11. a decade has passed already.

Today, is the 10th anniversary of September 11th. I am not someone that talks about their patriotism, politics or anything like that often, but when it comes to this event I have always felt sadness for those lost and a great love for those still around and those who are protecting us. This day was one that will never be forgotten, is now in textbooks, and changed the lives of millions of people forever. I didn't know anyone that died that day, I didn't know anyone that was injured or even in the nearby neighborhood that day. However, I still felt it shake me to my core as it continues too when I hear stories and see videos of that day. Just because I didn't know anyone doesn't mean I wasn't affected. I was in 7th grade that fateful morning. I remember seeing the plane hit the tower on the news before I left for school. When I got to school, I was worried all day about a cousin I have who was working near the pentagon at the time. We spent time in every classroom watching the TV coverage and discussing what had exactly happened. I will never forget those images I saw on the news channels. We were young enough to not fully understand the magnitude of what had happened or the implications that would come, but old enough to realize & feel the sadness, the heartache and devastation that resulted. 

I came across some videos from 9/11 this past week. While there are so many out there, there was one in particular that shook me to my core. I was devastated after seeing it & couldn't stop crying. The video is of a 911 call made that day from a man in the South Tower to a 911 responder. The poor woman on the phone does her best to keep the man calm and do what she has been trained. However, during the conversation the South Tower collapses and she is left on the line with out the man anymore, knowing that he is gone. I think, that would have been one of the hardest positions to be in that day. Listening to the calls of thousands of trapped, scared people that you couldn't help. Those 911 responders are brave and have been through just as much as others around the buildings that day. There are so many brave souls who deserve our respect, understanding, compassion and love even 10 years from now.  I read a quote this morning, a lady from the memorial service mentioned that while we are commemorating a 10 year mark, for those who lost loved ones, it's every day to them still. They don't see the 10 year mark as anything different because to them it still feels like yesterday and they still feel that sadness.

My heart & prayers go out to all those affected in any way by September 9, 2001, whether it's a family that lost a loved one, or a passerby who saw those that jumped from the buildings. I am so grateful for the troops and soldiers who since then, have fought to keep this country safe, giving their own lives for mine. I will always be incredibly grateful for the safety of myself, my family & friends. I hope we will always remember this day and those who were lost. I hope we can remember the lessons learned and to live each day to it's fullest especially when it comes to those we love. 



No comments: