Tuesday, May 22, 2012

adventures in the Bahamas continued....

Day 2: Nassau, Bahamas
Well this was a long day so this will be a long post & I'll post pictures later. First we wake up & have a tasty breakfast from the buffet. It was awesome because we got to have fruit like pineapple & watermelon etc., with every meal. I loved it and they had croissants which I loved so I had that with every breakfast meal. YUMMM. Okay so we get ready & head off the ship, not sure what we wanted to do. We walked off & saw buildings & people everywhere. We headed into this main building that takes you into the city & got some information papers. We decided to head to the straw market & get our shop on. It was crazy how that place was set up. People are everywhere with stuff everywhere & it was crazy hot & humid so we were sweating like mad. We spent an hour or two in there at least buying stuff. At one point I was with Nicole & we got lost from Em & Sarah & then it was like how were we ever supposed to find them in this place but luckily after walking around forever we did indeed find them! Sidenote: I saw the cutest/funniest thing a kid that looked just like the boy from Despicable Me with a monkey backpack on with his parents. I died laughing & took a picture of course & pointed it out to Nicole. Well after we shopped for eversville, we walked around the town a little & it was I think beautiful. The buildings are all very old & look like they came from the South & they are painted bright colors & pastel colors. I loved it & could have looked at them forever & I would have loved to explore each one. Well we wanted to go to the beach too so we headed back towards the ship to take a ferry to a beach we had talked to someone about earlier. We were lugging all our stuff so it was nice to finally get a ticket & hop onto a little ferry. The ferry was cute & we had this guy telling us about how the area we were passing was so rich & Nicolas Cage had a house there. Well after we arrived he was passing his hat around for tips & Sarah started to take some change out & he was like just poor it all in there so of course she just tips her wallet in & gave him all her change. It was so stinking funny. Well we get out & start walking & following signs to this public beach right....yeah turns out it was like forever away so we walked...and walked some more...took a potty/ picture break..and walked some more. We walked through the most beautiful hotel I've ever seen it's a super fancy one that costs thousands to stay at called Atlantis & it looks like it came from the Little Mermaid. 

Finally...we arrived at the beach. Everywhere on the beach guys were walking up & down shouting/ asking if people wanted jet ski rides, banana boat rides etc., and let's just say it got annoying really fast. We swam a little in the clearest water I've ever seen. It seemed like we were in a pool but it was the ocean. We laid out forever & slept/ I didn't cause I couldn't and had a lovely day in the sun. Except the sand there. Turns out that sand was so crazy fine that you could not get it off of you for the life of you. I sat and picked it off grain by grain & even then I couldn't get all of it. Well we got tired of the beach & were dreading a walk back when we saw guys offering cab rides back to the port for only 4 dollars so you can bet we hopped on that. The ride was nice & again we got to learn about the city, different houses, & we got to see some different Embassy buildings. We were exhausted from walking all day & headed onto the ship for some lunch. We had pizza & pasta & it was so delightfully good. Sarah & Nicole headed to take a nap but Em & I weren't ready to turn in yet. We headed out again & found out there was a zoo & pirate museum we could go too. We chose the zoo & took a cab ride there. When we arrived it was breathtaking. I have never seen a zoo like this. Lots of the animals are roaming around like peacocks, various birds and...flamingos. They are just walking around the zoo & you can walk right up to them & take pictures with them. There are also macaws, cockatoos & different parrots just tied up to these branches but still out in the open. It was beautiful & so lush & green with hundreds of trees, plants, flowers, bushes & it looked like we had stepped into the rainforest or something. First we headed to a parrot feeding. We had to step into this cage with a worker who handed us apple slices to feed them. Em went first and fed a few birds. I got some apple & then the worker brought a bird to me and he started eating...then another one landed on me...then another one...then one ruffled my hair and landed on me...and soon before I knew it I had like 5 or 6 cute little parrots on me. It was terrifying & exciting all at the same time. I will never forget that moment. After that we wandered around & were in awe at the flamingos..took pictures with them...saw Jaguars in cages much closer than I have or ever will see in my life...saw Iguanas, monkeys, peacocks, tiny lizards crawling on trees, a bird that made noises like a baby, a weird animal that looked kinda like an overgrown prairie dog, meerkats, tons of different birds, turtles, swans, a lynx & others. It was one of the coolest things I've ever done. The animals were so fun to look at & it was way better than any zoo that exists in the United States I'm sure.

Then the flamingo show began & we had to watch. The flamingos respond to some military commands & walk around the cute little fenced area. After watching we could go in & take pictures with them...of course as we are taking a picture one flamingo walks up to me & nuzzled me with his head/neck (which is soooo smooth) then nibbled at my shoulder with his beak...also freaked me out haha I guess birds like me. Finally we got a cab to take us back to the boat after having the policeman at the zoo (who was carrying a machine gun mind you) called him for us & he also told us about himself, the town & his family. We were exhausted walking back to the  ship, stopped to take a picture, were invited to some guys room after taking their picture, and then finally we were back on the ship. 

Let's fast forward to the evening shall we...after showering etc., we went to dinner at the buffet & sat on the beautiful deck & then headed to a Ventriloquist show that was going on in the Stardust Lounge. Now I will just say...this lady was AMAZING. She was so good at what she does & she pulled out three different characters & kept us laughing the whole time. We were stumped & I will be googling how they can throw their voices like that. It was one of the best show's I've seen in forever & I was so entertained, I was happy we got the chance to see that! Now we had dressed in whatever white we had because this evening was the White Hot Party. It was quite the party. Let's just start with the crewmembers outfits. They were wearing all white &...angel wings. Now Gustav looked so dreamy & pulled of the look better than anyone. As we headed to the party out on the deck we stopped to talk to to Rommel & another crewmember who were so freaking funny. Rommel is tiny & a bundle of energy & just plain hilarious. I want to be his best friend. He was chatting it up with us & I realized that I think he's the coolest person alive. So then we hunted down Gustav & took some pictures with him. We decided to let loose & really have a good time so we danced it up. We danced it up on the pool edge above the crowd...we danced up on stage with Rommel & other crew members...we danced it up on the main deck floor...& Em I danced it up with Mauricio (another beautiful man from Mexico who is super cute & hilarious). Finally...after people watching for awhile..it was time for bed. This was a crazy tiring...but ridiculously fun day that I really enjoyed.

No comments: